Friday, March 23, 2007

Psalm 139:1-12 God is Everywhere

Jonah in the Whale


O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.
2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising;

thou understandest my thought afar off.
3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down,

and art acquainted with all my ways.
4 For there is not a word in my tongue,

but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.
5 Thou hast beset me behind and before,

and laid thine hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;

it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
7 Whither shall I go from thy Spirit?

Or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there:

if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning,

and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10 even there shall thy hand lead me,

and thy right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me;

even the night shall be light about me.
12

Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee;

the night is as bright as the day;

darkness and light to you are both alike.





A psalm of comfort and accountability! It is a good vehicle of worship while reading Jonah. We are all called to leave the comfort of our parochial vision and like the pioneers of our faith Abraham and Jesus follow the call of God wherever we are to go. JWS